Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Homeschooled Shrooms

 Homeschooled Shrooms

We learn, where ever, when ever, always.

A few weeks ago, our class of 5 were out hunting, and doing some foraging. We found some Oyster Mushrooms. I wrote about that and our discoveries here. Today was day 10 of our mycelium growth and it seemed to be ready for planting. So, we did just that. Here is our progress.



Carter is stirring the soil/compost mixture that we heated in the microwave...it was frozen from storage in our garage, so it both needed to be thawed and heated thoroughly to 140deg F. This ensures any seeds, micro's or fungi is not already living in the soil.


Cylas has noted that worm poop smells distinctly gross..and exclaimed that he will puke. In math, they have been learning about temperature, and so reading the thermometer was a breeze :) 


 Here, we are sterilizing the bin that will host our growing mushrooms...Carter noted the sauna effect...and so both stressed boys relaxed in the steam. No, mama did not give them facials.


 After my class mates took off out of pure boredom from waiting on the kettle to heat, I was left solo to sterilize our growing medium...aka..food for our shrooms. We chose a mix of shredded paper and wood shavings.


 After soaking in boiling water, we squeezed out the excess, and allowed them to cool outside on the cold porch.


This is the point in our project where Cylas started to take an interest...I don't blame him. Who can resist white fuzz that smells awkwardly musty?


The boys take the mycelium covered strips of corregated cardboard and "plant" them on top of our soil/compst...


Here is a closeup of our fuzz.


My shroom boys posing with their batches :) I had taken a video of the boys covering their mycelium with the paper/wood mix..but it has failed to upload.
 I will try that again a little later


Here is our shroom garden...we named and dated the boxes, and added a humidity tent. Our storage room stays quite cool and dark, which these shrooms should appreciate. Stay tuned (follow my blog) for updates on our Oyster Mushroom Project

2 comments:

  1. I loved reading this! I can't wait until my kids get older. I have four children and I'm a homeschool mama. Visit my blog at www.abundantjoy04.blogspot.com if you like! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks For visiting Tonya! I LOVE homeschooling! We are in our first year, and are settling in nicely..Especially on days where we skip the books and go with a more hands in the mud approach.

      Delete